Thursday, May 05, 2011

Death of a Terrorist

Since my childhood I have thought that it is simply not right to be pleased when someone dies. A few days' ago, I was confronted with many images in news items of people rejoicing because a particular terrorist had died. So, I thought it best to allow a few days to pass to collect my thoughts.

Many of his relations wanted nothing more to do with him, but still I can imagine that they have mixed emotions following his death, similar to but much more intensive than mine. However, what shocked me somewhat is the fact that his 12-year-old daughter saw him being killed. One rather hopes that any 12-year-old does not have to experience anything like that. At least the children were taken away in an ambulance, so that they are presumably receiving the help they now need.

I am well aware that it is not really possible to plan a raid to arrest a terrorist of this sort, and I do not reject the possibility that the plan may have been the best one possible. However, I think we need to respect fellow human beings even when we are sure that they have acted in far too an extreme manner. It is now more important than ever to seek dialogue between people with different religions and with none, and having parties to celebrate anyone's death does not seem to me to be the most constructive way towards World Peace.

No comments: