Monday, November 13, 2006

Coyets' Random Thoughts

Staying in

Because it has now been raining on and off every day for the past week, I have not been as motivated as usual to get out and about. I go to work on Mondays to Fridays, and I do some shopping on Saturday, and since there is a new Sunday newspaper in this town, and it is free for a limited period of time - at least so many vouchers are handed out that there cannot be many people paying for it - I have also been taking a walk each Sunday to fetch this slightly entertaining and somewhat informative tabloid. The darkness early in the evening does not exactly aid motivation for getting things done. However, there are millions of people who live further North and who therefore have even darker evenings, except when they get the aurora borealis. One Winter only a few years ago this phenomenon was even visible in this town, but obviously not as spectacularly as it is further North. Living in a large town, or rather small city, is not exactly the best motivation for looking at what goes on in the sky at night. I always enjoy being in a smaller town or out in the country on a clear night, but because I spend so much of my time in places where the artificial lights spoil the view of the stars, planets, etc. I hardly recognise anything up there any more.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

When Barbara and I visited our daughter in Norway, we sailed north of the artic circle in early July. We saw the midnight sun, or at least it's pale glow through cloud cover. The long days were wonderful, but all the while I was aware that the price for my daughter would be very long nights in midwinter.
It amazes me that humans can adapt to such radically differing environments.